COVID-19 SAFETY POLICY NOTICE: Subject to applicable law, all prospective hires will be required to demonstrate that they have been fully vaccinated for COVID-19 or qualify for a medical or religious accommodation to this vaccination requirement. Hired candidates who are not vaccinated by the start of their employment and who have not been approved for a legally required medical or religious accommodation will be subject to disciplinary action up to and including termination of employment, in accordance with applicable law.
Position: Communications Director
Role: The Communications Director helps develop the message and communications strategies for the organization and for core campaigns for SEIU Healthcare PA in its mission to build a more just healthcare system for patients and for workers. The director also helps lead and develop the skills of the other communication specialists in the organization.
Location: Based in Pennsylvania
Duties and Responsibilities:
The Communications Director performs a wide range of duties, collaborating with union officers, directors, healthcare workers, organizers, and other staff to develop and implement effective strategies to support healthcare workers. The Campaign Communications Director will:
- Lead strategic communications planning for the local union and its specific campaigns and advocacy around policy and legislation.
- Work in collaboration with union officers and directors to ensure execution of strategic communications plans across campaigns.
- Work in collaboration with the President and other officers to develop core messages.
- Hire, supervise, develop, inspire, and hold accountable communications staff.
- Design and manage strategy and outreach to generate positive media coverage of the union’s members, goals, and campaigns
- Handle press inquiries and drive offensive press work connected to union-wide campaigns.
- Plan and execute major union events, especially those that require a media presence.
- Lead in the development of unionwide digital and social media outreach.
- Performs other duties as required to support the work of the union.
- Bachelor of Arts or Science degree in communications or another related field.
- Five years of related work experience.
- Experience supervising or developing staff preferred.
- Excellent writing, verbal, and analytical skills.
- Understanding of nonprofit and/or progressive campaign communications strategies.
- Proficiency in designing and implementing digital and social media strategies.
- Ability to think proactively and seize on opportunities to move our message forward.
- Knowledge of paid media strategy and experience creating effective paid media.
- Ability to frame issues for specific audiences and develop effective advocacy materials.
- Ability to handle multiple projects simultaneously and meet established deadlines.
- Proficiency in basic graphic design.
- Familiarity with managing Facebook and Twitter, and experience with other digital tools and social media networks.
- Ability to take creative direction, juggle multiple simultaneous projects and effectively manage competing priorities.
- Experience with photography and creating or editing videos is a plus.
- Demonstrated commitment to social and economic justice and the cause of labor.
- Willingness to work in a home/office setting with long and irregular hours at times and periodic attendance at union rallies and events required.
- Valid driver’s license and access to a vehicle as needed for travel.
- Applicants need to show proof of Covid-19 vaccination as per applicable laws.
Travel: Travel in-state may be required.
Competitive salary package of $68,000-$86,000 depending on experience and excellent benefits including defined benefit pension, optional 401K type plan, and fully paid health insurance benefits.
SEIU Healthcare Pennsylvania is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Women, LGBT people, and people of color are strongly encouraged to apply.
To Apply: Please send a resume, cover letter, writing sample, and design sample (if available) to email@example.com
SEIU Healthcare Pennsylvania is the largest and fastest-growing union of caregivers across the continuum of healthcare. We are the nurses, professional and technical employees, direct care, and service workers in Pennsylvania’s hospitals, nursing homes, home- and community-based care services, and state health facilities. Together, we work to unite all nurses and healthcare workers, organize at work and in the community, drive public policy and legislation, and build a broad, strong movement for good jobs, quality care, and healthy communities across Pennsylvania.
Together, we advocate to protect patient care and expand access to quality health care for all. We fight to improve our working conditions and make sure that the healthcare industry creates more good, family-sustaining jobs. We organize in our communities for racial equality and social justice. We lift each other up and create pathways for ordinary nurses and healthcare workers to become extraordinary leaders for change.
We are part of SEIU, the largest union in the country and a leader of the Fight for $15. Together, we are taking on corporate power and helping to build a wider movement for economic, racial, immigrant, and environmental justice.