COVID-19 SAFETY POLICY NOTICE: Subject to applicable law, all prospective hires will be required to demonstrate that they have been fully vaccinated for COVID-19 or qualify for a medical or religious accommodation to this vaccination requirement. Hired candidates who are not vaccinated by the start of their employment and who have not been approved for a legally required medical or religious accommodation will be subject to disciplinary action up to and including termination of employment, in accordance with applicable law.
Position: Health System Policy and Research Coordinator
Role: The Healthy System Policy and Research coordinator a program position in SEIU Healthcare Pennsylvania with responsibility, under the direction of the Director of Organizing and Director of Health System for providing strategic research to advance organizing campaign, support collective bargaining, and other research as needed to advance the goals of SEIU Healthcare Pennsylvania as it relates to acute care and health systems.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Take initiative on research to help advance organizing and bargaining campaigns, including:
- Finding new data sources, considering new angles of investigation, and finding new ways to analyze and present information for union campaigns with a special focus on health systems ;
- Investigating the corporate structure, finances, regulatory information and data, and other employer documents for relevant health systems;
- Develop and contribute to reports suitable to various audiences including internal leadership, the general public, media, legislators, etc.;
- Participate in organizing campaigns as a team member, strategist, analyst, and researcher;
- Make strategic recommendations for health system campaigns and policy development based on well-researched evidence;
- Monitoring and analyzing acute care and health systems industry changes and trends and government legislation, policies, and regulations and their impact on long-term care workers;
- Developing public policy positions on healthcare access, financing, workforce development, quality, and other key issues;
- Collaborating with healthcare stakeholders and allies to develop policy and build coalition efforts to advance economic and social justice; and
- Performs other duties as needed to support the local union and its mission.
- Demonstrated ability to tackle research problems of a financial, economic, political, or social scientific nature, including quantitative, analytical, and critical thinking skills, including ability to formulate hypothetical campaign strategy concepts for research;
- Experience analyzing public sector or private corporate finances;
- Ability to find the story in the data and ability to use data to tell a story;
- Ability in clear writing and public presentations to distill complicated findings into explanations that varied audiences can understand;
- Leadership and judgment in strategic campaigns in sensitive political environments;
- Knowledge of word processing, spreadsheets, data storage and transfer systems, and PowerPoint;
- Ability to work independently, in a team, and under tight deadlines;
- Undergraduate degree or higher degree in economics, health policy, or another public policy field, history or social science, law, or quantitative or analytical sciences is preferred
- Knowledge of healthcare policy preferred; and
- Experience with strategic union organizing or bargaining campaigns preferred.
Compensation: Competitive salary package ranges from $55,000-$75,000 depending on experience, benefit package includes fully employer-paid health insurance, defined-benefit pension, optional 401(k), etc.
Travel: Periodic travel to and work in Harrisburg as well as occasional travel around or outside Pennsylvania. Valid driver’s license and personal vehicle required.
- Demonstrated commitment to social and racial justice and the cause of labor.
- Willingness to work long and irregular hours and travel as needed.
- Proof of Covid-19 vaccination as subject to applicable law.
To Apply: Send a resume and cover letter to email@example.com
Please include the words “RESEARCHER” in the title of your email.
SEIU Healthcare Pennsylvania is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Women, LGBT people, and people of color are strongly encouraged to apply.
SEIU Healthcare Pennsylvania unites 45,000 nurses and healthcare workers across the continuum of care. We are the RNs, professional and technical employees, direct care and service workers in Pennsylvania’s hospitals, nursing homes, home and community-based care services, and state health facilities. Together, we aim to unite all nurses and healthcare workers, organize at work and in the community, drive public policy and legislation, and build a powerful movement for good jobs, quality care, and healthy communities across Pennsylvania.