COVID-19 SAFETY POLICY NOTICE: Subject to applicable law, all prospective hires will be required to demonstrate that they have been fully vaccinated for COVID-19 or qualify for a medical or religious accommodation to this vaccination requirement. Hired candidates who are not vaccinated by the start of their employment and who have not been approved for a legally required medical or religious accommodation will be subject to disciplinary action up to and including termination of employment, in accordance with applicable law.
Position: Government Affairs Representative
Role and Responsibilities: The Government Affairs Representative advocates directly with the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania legislature and actively engages with Commonwealth departments and other governmental entities and agencies to advance the interest of SEIU Healthcare Pennsylvania members and healthcare workers generally. SEIU Healthcare Pennsylvania unites 45,000 nurses and healthcare workers across the continuum of care. We are the nurses, professional and technical employees, direct care and service workers who work in Pennsylvania’s hospitals, nursing homes, home- and community-based services, and state health facilities. Together, we work to unite all nurses and healthcare workers, organize at work and in the community, drive public policy and legislation, and build a broad, strong movement for good jobs, quality care, and healthy communities across Pennsylvania. The Government Affairs Representative analyzes developments in state government that might impact the healthcare industry and helps coordinate action from the local union.
This position reports to the Director of Government Relations and Politics. The representative will frequently interact with staff and members across the union.
The person in this position will perform a wide range of duties which include but is not limited to:
- Directly lobby the legislature and actively engage with Commonwealth departments and other governmental entities and agencies to advance the interests and policy goals of SEIU Healthcare Pennsylvania members and all nurses and healthcare workers.
- Working with the Director of Government Relations to build bipartisan relationships with appropriate offices in the state and federal government. Representing SEIU Healthcare PA before the state legislature, state administration, and the state’s congressional delegation.
- Finding opportunities to put our members and healthcare workers at the center of our legislative advocacy and train members to lobby state, federal, and local elected officials.
- Providing bill analyses and summaries as needed on proposed legislation and regulations.
- Drafting legislative position memos, testimony, comments, talking points, meeting aides, one-pagers, and other materials as needed on policy priorities and legislation.
- Scheduling legislative meetings, preparing for meetings, taking detailed meeting notes, and completing any related follow-up.
- Working with the organizing and communications teams to identify and develop relevant stories for lawmakers.
- Maintaining an internal legislative tracking system for Pennsylvania Legislative Services and conducting ongoing general bill monitoring/activity.
- Updating contact records of key legislative contacts, policymakers, and officials.
- Providing timely updates on work to internal staff members on legislative and administrative actions.
- Alerting staff to opportunities to highlight worker stories or engage consumer leaders and planning consumer engagement opportunities.
- Assisting in organizing and executing government affairs events, including legislative breakfasts, lobby days, press conferences, etc.
- Participating in various coalitions at the state and local levels
- Building relationships with candidates for state and local office, leading our endorsement process with our member leaders, and recommending PAC contributions to endorsed candidates.
- Organizing meetings and partner engagement for SEIU HCPA-led coalitions, including recruiting new and relevant organizations to participate in coalitions, providing updates, arranging meetings, and assisting with coalition activities.
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills;
- Demonstrated ability to persuade and collaborate with diverse partners;
- Undergraduate degree or higher degree in economics, health policy, or another public policy field, history or social science, law, or direct relevant experience working as a lobbyist or in governmental settings;
- A minimum of two years of work experience in legislative/grassroots advocacy, and/or other closely related relevant experience;
- A minimum of two years of experience in electoral/community/labor organizing;
- Demonstrated ability in exercising leadership and sound judgment in strategic campaigns in sensitive political environments;
- Proven ability to independently organize, prioritize, execute, and evaluate strategic work plans;
- Ability to work independently and in a team and under tight deadlines;
- Exemplary commitment to social and economic justice and the values of the labor movement; and
- Knowledge of healthcare policy or the labor movement is preferred.
- Willingness to work long and flexible hours to meet the needs of campaigns.
- Must be able to be physically present in Harrisburg regularly for meetings and session days and able to work remotely from home in a flexible hybrid environment.
- Valid driver’s license and access to a vehicle as needed for travel. Travel is reimbursed under IRS mileage reimbursement rate.
- Applicants need to show proof of Covid-19 vaccination as per applicable laws.
Competitive salary scale of $56,000 to $76,000, based on relevant years of experience and excellent benefits package that includes fully-paid health insurance, defined-benefit pension, optional 401(k), etc.
Based in Pennsylvania, with regular time in Harrisburg and periodic travel around the state.
Send a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.
SEIU Healthcare Pennsylvania is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Women, LGBT people, and people of color are strongly encouraged to apply.